Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Knocked Up...

I had a student this fall who was pregnant and working hard to complete her coursework so she wouldn't be behind when she had her baby. She was a remarkably dedicated student, and so proud when she earned an A in the course.

It was great to chat with her- so full of excitement and nervousness about how her life would change becoming a mother. She was full of questions- not always related to curriculum. This was one of the few times I got to connect with a student on this level in the online world.

But perhaps my favorite was a student I had the first summer I taught online... we used to Instant Message each other at strange hours. Perhaps my favorite thing about it was being able to "play" with a student online. We used to tic-tac-toe and doodle together in IM. She'd share her art with me, and had no fear sharing her doubts, fears, and frustrations. It was the first time I got to have that kind of relationship with an online student.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Brooke,

You obviously enjoy creating a relationship with your students! And it is beneficial to you as well! Keep up the awesome work!

Virginia